best spot?

Area Camping & Campground information exchange

best spot?

Postby n2h2o » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 am

so I am fairly new to Kern River area... Me, the Gf and the dog are headed up that way today and want to do some camping and fishing.
whats a good spot to camp with out a crowd of people?
i dont care if its in a campground or off the trail a bit, we just want to fish.
Last edited by n2h2o on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
n2h2o

Re: best spot?

Postby admin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:21 am

I prefer Limestone and send most inquiries about camping there first. The bad news is it's NOT on the National Reservation system and you can't make reservations, you won't know if any spots are available until you get there. The good news is it's NOT on the National Reservation system. Try there fist and if nothing available work your way down river. Fairview is next best and has a general store with and excellent restaurant. If you want closer to town try the private Rivernook Campground.

Although they're threatening closing dispersed (free/little or no facilities) camping spots due to public degrading the areas, there is still dispersed camping along the river above Riverkern. Make sure you camp at least 25 feet from river bank in established open areas only. Report littering, vandalism, cutting vegetation and unsanitary practices to Tulare Sheriff 559-733-6211 or US Forest Svc. 760-376-3781 Good luck and stay safe.

For upper Kern campground into visit: http://www.kernvalley.com/news/kerncamp.htm
admin
Site Admin

Re: best spot?

Postby n2h2o » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:26 am

thanks for the reply. we actually ended up staying on the north fork section... mmm about 3 miles past that hotel thing on the right.
i cant believe how fast that water is flowing.. Saturday it was really muddy and looked a landslide mus thave happened up river a ways... there was tons of debris and mud flowing down river.. pretty gnarly.
we fished a little at the lake and a little on the way home along the river...
we picked up a ton of trash that was both at our camp spot and a few fishing spots.. Whats with people just leaving a ton of trash?? p**ses me off!!!
n2h2o

Return to Camping