New Forum ???

Comment on your experiences while visiting our valley.

New Forum ???

Postby Sparky75 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Webmaster,
What happened? When I signed on to this new forum all I had to do was go to
kernrivervalley.net/board and log in, now I have to hunt all over the place to log in.
Sparky75

Re: New Forum ???

Postby admin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:06 pm

We're still learning the ins and outs of this board also. The login/logout should always be on pale blue bar just to right of where you see "FAQ" & "Members" when you first arrive at board. It could be it just remembers your info when you clicked on it.

I know that one experiment showed the person still logged in on the next visit because they didn't logout on the prior. Don't seem right to stay logged in but like I said we're still learning. And, there could be differences with the browsers. We're using Firefox just because it doesn't have all the security holes that IE is famous for.

Next time you come in fresh (if you didn't log out the previous time), take a look at the bar and see if it shows you as "Logout [Sparky75]" . If it shows that way try posting a test (you can always delete it) and see if it takes it without asking you to log in. If it does, it probably remembered your info with a cookie.

I clicked on remember for next time and it automatically takes care of it for me. Could be just an admin control thing but I think it's the same for each member. You can change some things in your own control panel also on the same tool bar as the log in, on far left. You can see private "new messages" on the same line just right of that. I sent you a test so you should see "(1 new message)" on your bar. Click on that for the message, it's just between us. No one else can see that unless I send to others or everyone.

You can private message or email one or more other board members too, so you don't have to post here for help or public viewing if you don't want. Just click on "Members" and then the person's user name and you can choose how to reach them privately. Each member has their own private control panel, board settings and choices when they are logged in. Go ahead and click around on stuff, you won't hurt anything. You might also click on the FAQ, there's a lot of info there.

There's a link to view all your posts by themselves and you can edit or delete your own posts anytime you like. You can subscribe to a forum or a certain post and be notified by email anytime someone adds a post to it. All kinds of tricks to mess with on this platform.

Other than that you should only have to log in once per visit and get access to everything. Not necessary if you forget, but you might want to click on logout when your done just for GP. Hope that helps.

If it wasn't for the hack attacks on valuable posts, I'd prefer the old board platform for user simplicity but everyone seems to be getting use to this. We might try out another secured data based board just for the heck of it but this will be it unless a serious security problem appears. Take care.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparky75 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Thanks Webmaster,

I will get used to the new forum, I like it myself..........
Sparky75

Postby Gary C. » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 pm

I think that the automatic log on function is great. Since I'm the only person(and friends I trust) that uses my computer I always click the "Log me on automaticly each visit " button. That way I don't have to log on every time. If I were to log on from a computer that I had to share or at someone elses house I would not use this function, no sense giving anyone I don't trust access to my profile. Gary C.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Return to Community Comments, Compliments, Complaints & Suggestions