TROUT LIMIT!!!!!

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

TROUT LIMIT!!!!!

Postby Slingshot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok, I am dense! How many trout are you allowed at Isabella? What about the streams up north and the Owens? I confused, 2 up, wouldn't that mean 7?
Slingshot

Re: TROUT LIMIT!!!!!

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:13 am

If I understand your ? right. The lake is 5 per day 10 in pos. same for the river. The owens has dif regs. depends where on the river you are fishing. Some areas are c and r only, some are2 trout while other areas allow 5 per day. I did see one item on a site about the lake which stated there is a 14" min limit, which I am not aware of. The daily limit is 5 trout max. no matter where you fish. Any one else have any input on size limit on the lake for trout?
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Gary C. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 am

I don't believe there is any size limits for the lake. Durring the general season above the Johnsondale Bridge there is a minimum size limit and the limit is two fish. if I remember correctly the minimum size above the bridge is at least 16" to keep. Durring the winter off-season the limit is zero and it's artificial/barbless year round.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby admin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:51 am

I think Gary is correct, I can't find any size limits on the lake in the regs.

You're not dense. I think they deliberately make the laws confusing. (Check my Mar 3 post "Changes in Fishing Regulations) Then read (A) below. Conflicting info means a call to CDFG is mandatory...and get a name from who you talk to. Then ask for clarification from the game warden when he comes around.

The following is from the 2010-2011 Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations
(downloaded from CDFG website on 4/6/2010 9:20 am...doesn't mean it's the latest)

Kern River (Kern and Tulare cos.).
(A) From Lake Isabella to the Johnsondale bridge. All year. 5 per day 10 in possession

(B) From Johnsondale bridge upstream to the point where U.S. Forest Service Trail 33E30
heads east to join the Rincon Trail. Open season: Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.
Minimum size limit: 14 inches total length. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. Bag limit 2
Nov. 16 through the Friday preceding the last Saturday in Apr. Only artificial lures with
barbless hooks may be used. Bag limit 0

(C) From the point where U.S. Forest Service Trail 33E30 heads east to join the Rincon Trail
upstream to the mouth of Tyndall Creek. Open season: Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.
Maximum size limit: 10 inches total length for rainbow trout only. Only artificial lures with
barbless hooks may be used. Bag limit 2

Other:
Special Black Bass Regulations
(19) Isabella lake (Kern County). Open season: All year. 15-inch minimum. Bag limit 2

Questions on regulations may be referred to the Department of Fish and Game at:
4 - Central Region
Serving Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo,
Stanislaus, Tulare and Tuolumne counties
1234 E. Shaw Avenue
Fresno 93710
(559) 243-4005

The way they keep changing regs and the vague language and exceptions...it's best to call the CDFG and get the latest and direct answers to questions.
admin
Site Admin

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:51 am

Like I said I never heard of a size limit on the lake, and I doubt it's true, but I google, lake isabella trout limit and went to the fist link. If that were the case why would they even stock anything smaller than 14", I have caught and kept smaller trout.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Trout Limit: 5 per day, 10 in possession.

Does that mean I can walk around town with a 10-fish stringer??
Calduke

Postby Gary C. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 pm

[quote="Calduke"]Trout Limit: 5 per day, 10 in possession.

Does that mean I can walk around town with a 10-fish stringer??[/quote]

As long as 5 of them smell like they have been there on since yesterday. :)
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby Fishpole » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:58 am

Better hope the game warden has allergies Heh Heh
Fishpole

Return to Fishing