Stocking

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Stocking

Postby bnaginey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Has the upper kern been stocked lately? I looked on the DFG site and did not see any recent reports of the kern being stocked. Don't they usually stock before President's day weekend? Looking foward to some early season bows!

Nag
bnaginey

Re: Stocking

Postby admin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 am

Yes, the upper river was quietly stocked from Riverside Park in Kernville, up to Brush Creek. They dumped several truckloads of one pounders just before Whiskey Flat Weekend. What's more enticing is that they stocked a slew from the "trophy trout" program, 4 to 6 pound beauties. Bulk of dump should still be swimming. Most anglers stayed away from the area due to Whiskey Flat days crowds and lousy weather. Now's the time, but be aware of some really nasty weather due Thursday through Sunday. Snow level is predicted to drop as low as 1000' Friday and Saturday nights. Check current weather at:
http://www.kernvalley.com/news/weather.htm

The lake has plenty of Alpers left with even more of those due to be stocked before the derby. Locals have been in 7th heaven because few are willing to travel the Grapevine, hazardous roads, weather and high winds lately. Afraid to get stuck here and I don't blame them at all. We were locked down via the canyon and, with over 40 landslides, really lucky to get it open as soon as they did.

Be aware that if you're coming via Walker Pass to Kernville, you'll have to take the long way around the lake through Wofford Heights. Sierra Way is still closed and isn't expected to be open for another 5-6 months.

Stocking is looking good for 2011.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Calduke » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Is the stocking program on a weekly basis now?
Calduke

Postby admin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:34 am

Looks like they're back on schedule. Beyond the DFG plant schedule, the lake is getting most attention right now as they gear up for the derby. Watch for info in the forum on the next Alpers plant. Nice fish already out there right now.

Here's latest DFG Plant schedule:
Week of March 6:
Kern River from Powerhouse #3 to Riverside Park, Kernville

Week of March 13:
Kern River from Democrat Beach to Lower Richbar
Kern River from Sandy Flat to Democrat Beach
Kern River from Brush Creek to Fairview Dam
Kern River from Fairview Dam to Falling Waters Lodge

Week of March 20:
Isabella Lake

Week of March 27:
Kern River from Democrat Beach to Lower Richbar
Kern River from Sandy Flat to Democrat Beach

Best of luck.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Calduke » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Mr Admin,

Please provide a new thread to wake us up. Some of us need a life. Rumors, facts or just make up something.
Best lures for the Kern?
Calduke

Postby Gary C. » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 pm

I can't wait until we have a few crappie reports again. It may be the start of spring but it sure feels like winter to me.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Return to Fishing