Kern trip

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Kern trip

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Thought I'd give it a go this wekend. The flows are up but, that's what I like, fewer bodies and plenty of fish. If the river won't put out I'll hit the lake and try for trout and crappie. I'll be camping in the site just above the golder trout lodge, that use to be the name but it has changed hands, so now, I'm not sure. 8 miles above James market on the left. I talked to some guys who fish above Johnsondale last week and it was real slow for them, 14 guys, 4 days 4 trout. I always work the river from brush creek down to power hose #3. If you come up this week end, stop by, maybe I'll buy you a beer. I'll be the one in the silver yukon XL, sporting a wide brimmed hat over my white beard.
BIRDHUNTER

Re: Kern trip

Postby Gary C. » Wed May 18, 2011 7:03 pm

I agree with you about anything better than having the crowds around when trying to fish. Good luck and tight lines.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby admin » Fri May 20, 2011 1:59 am

Hope you were able to get to the lake. They planted another truck load of Alpers Wednesday. The latest purchase with money from the derby. Them Alpers are fighters and tasty as hell. This makes the 4th load they've bought and dumped. Go get'em.
admin
Site Admin

Postby mrtrout27 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Look forward to hearing how you do. Planing a trip in mid june.
mrtrout27

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Sun May 22, 2011 3:08 pm

We had the best trips we have had ever, not only numbers but size. Three guys two days, 62 fish. We kept 25, of which 14 were 17 in. or better up to my 22 incher, three came in at 20 in. and four others at 19 in. Flow was at 2700 cfs, which is where I like it. I think they are putting Alpers trout in the river. I know they stocked the lake with Alpers before the derby but, up till now I wasn't sure about the lake. Those big ones put up a real battle with light gear and high flows, take your net. We have two more trips planned in the next four weeks.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Gary C. » Mon May 23, 2011 10:10 am

Congrats on what sounds like a great trip. I hope I can get up there soon but it looks like it might be a while.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Return to Fishing