Fishing report

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Fishing report

Postby THansen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:09 am

This is a second hand report. My family is staying at Rivernook Campground. Because of the high water level, I suggested that they go up to Limestone and work their way down. Fish the slower flat sections,big bends and look for any eddies along the shore.
They had little-No success. Keep in mind this is my mother, sister and 13 Y.O. nephew.
Mom just called to report that she caught one at Rivernook.
I told them if they cant figure out how to fish along the shore, then they need to head for Lower Peppermint creek campground.
I will be there next week and I dont expect to have any problems catching fish. I actually do well with the high flows. The fish are concentrated along the shore The average guy that fishes 2-3 times a year struggles with the high water conditions. DFG keeps planting fish and the dummies cant get them. More fish for those that know how to deal with the high water. (now watch me get skunked LOL)

Maybe the water is higher than I expect. But I always come up in June and usually have to deal with high water.
THansen

Re: Fishing report

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Seven of us went up for our annual Fathers day trip. The flow was up, around 5700 cfs but, I have been fishing the river for 25 years now and I know where to look. We manage around 60 fish even with the high flow and murkey water. We hit every good looking hole from Fairview damn down to power house #3. Anyone know what's with all the big trout they have benn stocking this year? 2.5 - 5 lbs is something I have never seen on the Kern. Are they stocking alpers or are they just trying to make up for the year they wern't allowed to stock. My 7 year old Grand Daughter caught two nice fish all by her self, first time.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Pescador » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:17 am

Are you a bait fisher or fly and what kind of set up do you use to catch all these fish in the fast moving water? I'll catch a few when it's moving really fast but struggle because I'm the 3 times a year angler. Any advice would be appreciated.
Pescador
Pescador
Pescador

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I like to use all sorts of lures but, the lure action has been real slow so I switched over to sherbert power bait. Use a med. size split shot and fish what ever back wash you can find or look for slower moving water, the beach area at river kern is always a good spot. We go up above fairview damn just above the raft launch spot. Lost of good water in that area, walk your way down to the damn and, try anything that looks good. Fish rather close to the banks. Work your way down river and have your shotgun looking for any potential spot. Inside banks are what to look for. Below power house #3 is good. but, I only seem to get the smaller stockers in that area.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Pescador » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks Birdhunter, Wish me luck, We'll be up this weekend and camp wherever we can find a spot. I have always liked the area you talked about fishing above Fairview dam. Back with report on Sunday night.
Pescador
Pescador
Pescador

Postby Gary C. » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Sounds like a very successful trip Birdhunter. Best of luck to you Tom and Pescador, I hope you do as well. I'm headed for the high country this weekend with some friends to chase Goldens. Spring is finnaly here!!
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Return to Fishing