Upper Kern fishing

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Upper Kern fishing

Postby Pescador » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 pm

We finally made it up to the river on Friday morning. Put in a half hearted effort at camp 3 and landed one trout and a use another word fish. Got back on the water Saturday evening at Roads End. The fish really started to bite but we left to have dinner at McNallys. Went back to roads end Sunday morning and the fishing was wide open. I got bit on almost every cast and landed a bunch but only kept two for dinner. Most fish were taken on salmon eggs but when I ran out of eggs I switched over to power bait and the fish were still eating. I didn't expect the fishing to be so good with the river moving like a fire hose. Just a matter of finding the right spot. This is the kind of fishing that keeps me coming back.
Pescador
Pescador
Pescador

Re: Upper Kern fishing

Postby hockeybruin72 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Hello Pescador,

Thanks for that info. Going back up to Kern River week after 4th of july weekend. Going back up to Limestone area. It's been awhile for me but other than the eggs and power bait that you caught with how was your spinning rig set up. Did you have a 2/4lb test, barrel sinkers/spilt shot, swivels and or any leaders tied to your line? Any advice you can give or anyone else for that matter I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
hockeybruin72

Re: Upper Kern fishing

Postby Pescador » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Hello Hockeybruin,
I used 4 Lb. test with a split shot about 2 feet up from a #16 treble hook. Nothing fancy and I didn't have any luck with Panther Martin lures. Don't cast too far into the fast moving water and just let your line drift back to the bank if there is not too much brush. Good luck to you.
Pescador
Pescador
Pescador

Return to Fishing