Willow Fire

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Willow Fire

Postby flyboy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 am

Where exactly is the Willow Fire? Is it near Limestone campground? Also is it creating air quality issues in the morning in Kernville like the Lion Fire did last month?
flyboy

Re: Willow Fire

Postby admin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 pm

The Willows Fire began about 18 miles up river from Kernville (about 2 miles past Fairview). Which would be about where Limestone is. However, the fire is on the west side of the river. Some crews were shuttling to fire area by rafts but terrain is steep and rocky. They refer to this type of suppression as an “air show” - terminology for an area that is hard to reach by ground either by location or existing natural features – such as the Kern River - areas in which only aircraft can provide immediate access. Kernville Helibase kept busy all day Monday as three helicopters dropped water on the fire. Porterville Air Tanker base was equally busy as two Air Tankers assisted with retardant drops.

Latest report:
306 acres and 70% contained. Extremely steep terrain amid brush and scattered timber.
Reported Sunday evening, September 4, 2011 at 10:00 p.m.
Traffic in the fire area, along Mountain 99, is limited to one lane with traffic control in place.
Law enforcement is investigating the cause.
200 personnel are assigned to the fire. As of Tuesday, rafts were no longer used for shuttling and helicopters are transporting firefighters to the landing zones.

Yes, smoke is nasty in the morning and blows out in afternoon. Lion fire is also still active so smoke from both is a problem for those with respiratory problems. The fire managers plan to get the Willow under control, unlike the "managed" Lion Fire, because of the extended period of smoke affecting valley residents.
admin
Site Admin

Postby stever » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Regarding the Willow Fire, any campground closures?
I am scheduled to spend next weekend @ Fairview.
Lingering smoke in the air is not really an issue for me,
however I want to make sure that I have a place to stay.
Comments are welcomed
stever

Postby admin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 pm

We haven't been advised of any closures at this time. There may be a lot of activity with fire equipment and crews stationed in the area. You might want to check latest conditions with McNally's Fairview Store/Lodge/Restaurant, (right next to the campground) before you depart. Their number is: 760-376-2430. Don't trust Reserve America for information. They usually don't even know if a fire exists. They were still booking campsites during the McNally fire when everything was closed to access. They're back east somewhere and I don't think they've improved. Have a safe trip and hopefully a great time with minimal smoke. Fishing is still good to go.
admin
Site Admin

Postby saugusbob » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:37 am

Morning Mike,

Is the Willow fire out? Am planning on coming up for some R&R this weekend and usually stay at Chemise Flats. Just want to know what to expect.

Thanks for keeping this board alive. I've enjoyed it for about the last five years (I do miss Bear though).
saugusbob

Postby admin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 am

You should be good to go at Chemise. The Willow fire is shown as 100% controlled but still listed as active in a monitored status. Crews are still in the area for spot suppression. The Lion Fire is 95% contained and shown as active also. You may see morning and lingering smoke from both but it shouldn't hamper your weekend. You might bring a paper filter mask just to have handy. Have a safe trip. Good luck and great fishing. Let us know how you do.

Thanks for remembering Bear...I miss him too. He could incite a posting frenzy with 50 responses to his views, not to mention the lively bar discussions at the Elks.

Appreciate your long time participation. We lost some active members when we were forced to change from the popular open forum to this registered secure version. But, we're seeing a gradual return of readers despite the economy. Logs still show the fishing forum as one of the more popular Kern Valley destinations. I think its because we don't BS the readers. If fishing is bad or camping conditions are not up to par we'll let people know not to waste their time and money. If we can help further just ask.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Gary C. » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:31 pm

I just wanted to chime in and say that I appreciate the fact that you always seem to be willing to tell us just what comditions are like.

I also miss Bear and still think about him from time to time. I miss hearing from Willie too, I hope that him and his wife are doing well.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby admin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks Gary. Funny, I was just thinking about Willy the other day. Trying to find his last email address to see how he's doing. I know he was popping in awhile back to see what he was missing, but where he was made Fairview look like a toxic dump. People really take pride in nature there. I'll keep at finding him.

Saugusbob. Save the time and money to fight another day. Hope we catch you in time to postpone your trip to Chemise Flats until the chocolate soup Kern clears. Visit the Wonka post and response for more info. I sent an email to you but not sure of delivery right now. Having board db update issues.
admin
Site Admin

Postby saugusbob » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks, received your email regarding muddy waters. Hate to admit this on the fishing forum, but I haven't actually fished the kern or really anywhere else in about 20-25 years. I was introduced to the Kern somewhere around 1957-58 when I would have been about 6-7 years old. Came back for several years to fish mostly around Fairview or up on Brush Creek with my dad and brother. Learned to love the area and how to leave a camp cleaner than you found it. My dad gave up on the Kern when it started to go dry by early to mid August in the early 60's and we went elsewhere to fish. I came back in '67 and camped and dabbled at fishing until about 1980 when my kids were born. Priorities changed and we never seemed to have time to get back up there. Then about 6 years ago I introduced my son and daughter to the area and within a couple of years several nieces, nephews and kid's friends had been introduced to the area. I taught them what my dad had taught me about how to act while camping and we always have a good time. My daughter and four of her girl friends actually came up a few years ago in April for an extended weekend and had a great time. Sorry guys but we innertube the river. I've always told those with me to respect the fishermen and stay across river from them if possible and to be quiet. I know some of you hate us but, try it sometime it is really fun and always a highlight of my year.
Mike, thanks for keeping this forum going, and if you get in touch with Willie, have him post some more recent pictures of his adventures. Always enjoyed them and the comments from the morons who had nothing better to than whine that 'they have nothing to do with the KRV. Don't miss those guys. Tight lines and good weather to all the fishermen out there.
Bob
ps. may have had too much caffiene this morning i tend to get wordy when amped up.
saugusbob

Postby admin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am

I always like to hear from members. Probably ran across you sometime at Roads End store or the Tenderhouse, when I lived there.

If you're still coming up have a safe trip and stay. And...you don't have to be a fisherman to post here. I like to say, "No one knows everything...but everyone knows something." Let us know your views on the river, roads, surroundings and other campers, that might be fishing, when you get home. Good or bad, any and all info helps others in some way.

Thanks for the post.
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Fishing