Stocking

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Stocking

Postby Calduke » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:18 pm

How much longer will DFG be stocking the upper Kern??
Calduke

Re: Stocking

Postby flyboy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 am

Only one week in November scheduled for planting. Fishing is slow because planting has been reduced significantly since October 1

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/F ... entral.asp
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Was there a reason for the slowdown in the stocking since Oct 1??

I fished in Oct and personally noticed a slow 3-day fishing.
Calduke

Postby flyboy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 am

Read this on another web site, "Had a chance to talk with the hatchery manager this week. He confirmed that there has been and will be less stocking this Fall and Winter. He took nearly all of his weight allotment this summer when the upper river was running cooler this summer because of the high flows. Often in August when river temps hit the 70’s he’s not given trout but this year he took more pounds in August because the river was cool. He is very weary from all of the calls he’s been getting. Not much he can do about it now. Going forward he said he planned to only stock the Upper Kern one more time before Turkey Day. He did stock the lakes in BFL late 10/27/11 but will not be stocking bi-weekly this winter like last year but every third week or monthly. I hope next year the stocking plan does a better job of allocating trout to the Upper Kern in Oct/Nov when flows are much more wadeable and safe! "
flyboy

Re: Stocking Winter 2012

Postby flyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:44 am

The hatchery is planting as discussed in my November post. Low Upper river temps (low 40's)preclude stocking on the Upper Kern usually until March. Who knows what temps to expect with the current warm drought like conditions. BFL lakes now stocked every third week

Too bad the upper can't be stocked with low river flows and warm air temps :-( Perfect fishing conditions.
flyboy

Postby flyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:52 am

The hatchery is planting as discussed in my November post. Low Upper river temps (low 40's)preclude stocking on the Upper Kern usually until March. Who knows what temps to expect with the current warm drought like conditions. BFL lakes now stocked every third week

Too bad the upper can't be stocked with low river flows and warm air temps :-( Perfect fishing conditions.
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 pm

When will the DFG start the 2012 stocking program?

Also, someone tell me they caught a fish lately. Need a boost.
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Any update on the start of 2012 stocking.
Anyone seen a fish lately?
Calduke

Postby Gary C. » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 pm

I have not been up for a while. Saw some reports of a few nice fish caught on other sites but most of what I've heard is that it's been slow. It should be picking up if the water warms up some. Crappie is what I'm starting to think about. If this warmer weather keeps up we might get some early fish. Anyone hear about any crappie being caught?
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby Fishpole » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 am

Nothing good!
Fishpole

Next

Return to Fishing