May Fishing - Upper Kern

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

May Fishing - Upper Kern

Postby badstevie » Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello all. Coming up next mid-week. Just wondering how the river might be then. Staying at Hospital Flat. Any fishing tips? River Ok or should I head to the lake and rent a boat this time of year? If the lake, where should I go on the lake and what to catch and use for bait??? Any info is very much appreciated!
badstevie

Re: May Fishing - Upper Kern

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Wed May 09, 2012 8:02 am

I'm heading up this Thurs. AM. I try to stay at the camp site just above the golden trout lodge. 8 miles above kernville. I think it is now named spingdale. I was up three weeks ago a did real good the first day then the temp went up and so did the river, it turned to mud. and the fishing went down hill. I allways fish the river from just above fairview dam down to riverkern. Right now the river has cleared up and the flow is around 1150 cfs. I like to use super duppers, thomas bouyants, and meps spinners. For bait fishing I stick with power bait. Lots of people swear by salmon eggs but, I have neveer had much luck with them.. I drive all the way up the river and work my way back down looking for possible spots. With the river allways changing, so go the spots which may hold fish.
BIRDHUNTER

Return to Fishing