Calling All Anglers

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Calling All Anglers

Postby admin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Media Contact:
Janice Mackey, DFG Communications, (916) 322-8908

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) encourages anglers to go fishing with a friend or neighbor who doesn’t have a license this Saturday, the second of two days in 2012 when fishing licenses are not required.

DFG offers two Free Fishing Days each year – usually around the Fourth of July and Labor Day weekend – when it’s legal to fish without a sport fishing license. This year, the Free Fishing Days were set for the Saturdays following Independence Day and Labor Day (July 7 and Sept. 8).

All other fishing regulations, such as bag and size limits, gear restrictions, report card requirements, fishing hours and stream closures remain in effect. Every angler must have an appropriate report card if they are fishing for abalone, steelhead or sturgeon anywhere in the state, or for salmon in the Smith and Klamath-Trinity River systems.

Free Fishing Days provide a low-cost way to give fishing a try. Some DFG Regions offer a Fishing in the City program where anglers can go fishing in major metropolitan areas. Fishing in the City and Free Fishing Day clinics are designed to educate novice anglers about fishing ethics, fish habits, effective methods for catching fish and fishing tackle. Anglers can even learn how to clean and prepare fish for eating.

Anglers should check the rules and regulations at www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/ for the waters they plan to fish. Wardens will be on duty to enforce them. For more information on Free Fishing Days, please visit www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/freefishdays.html.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Calling All Anglers

Postby flyboy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

The hatchery was getting a lot of pressure to try and stock again even with a lot of work to upgrade the facility is ongoing. The lousy Labor Day catching really caused concern for the business community so they tried to stock 9/4/12. Unfortunately most of the trout stocked went belly up. So the river temps are still too high. They may try again in a couple of weeks but the catching will continue to suffer for some time on the upper kern river. One wonders why they don't stock Lake Isabella where the water is cooler at depth?
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:09 am

Dear Mr Admin

My summer fishing schedule leads me to the Upper Kern 2 times in October. A great time to fish the Kern
The low snow pack and hot/dry weather has had a negative impact on the river and the stocking.

I drive from SoCal, 200 miles, and spend lots of money in town - well worth it.
I would like to go knowing that there is a good chance of some action

I( and maybe others) would greatly appreciate any info you can post regarding when the DFG plans to start re-stocking - and when they actually start.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Calduke

Postby flyboy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Calduke,
You can look at the stocking schedule here. Just search by county Tulare (for Upper Kern River) and Kern for Kernville and downstream stocking.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/Defau ... nty=Tulare

I'd save your gas money for October but typically starting in October they stock Bakersfield Lakes and the Upper Kern on alternating weeks.
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Flyboy;

Great Info Thanks
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:30 pm

The near-term weather predictions show a significant decrease in air temperatures.
As of today, the DFG doesn't show any future stocking of the Kern. Can we expect any stocking after Oct 15??
Calduke

Postby flyboy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Stocking on the upperK resumed for two weeks, check the website. Focus will soon be on BFL Lakes and Lower Kern until March 2013
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Flyboy

'Stocking resumed for 2 weeks' - what week will be the last week of stocking?

The DFG shows stocking in only 2 sections of the Kern. There are 5 sections - I do believe.

Is there a graphic that show the sections and the extent of the sections.

You are a great help and I do appreciate your time and effort.
Calduke

Postby flyboy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Check KERN county where it shows region 4 to be stocked as well. Other regions are 0-3 on the Lower Kern. Right now it appears that this will be the last week of Upper Kern stocking. They are still completing a lot of work on the hatchery so time to stock is limited. I was told by a reliable source last week they planted about 1/3 of their normal pounds of trout. I'd guess because they only had a short period of time to plant; so they planted locations closer to the hatchery. That's where I'd target if I were you.
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 am

Great info. In the past, October has been a great month for hitting the Kern. A bummer this year.

Thanks
Calduke

Next

Return to Fishing