Hatchery Update Jan 18, 2013 bummer

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Hatchery Update Jan 18, 2013 bummer

Postby flyboy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 am

From the Bakersfield Californian Jan 18, 2013

TROUT PLANTS UPDATE: Department of Fish and Game trout plants have been impacted in the Kern County region by two problems in succession resulting in few plants being made this year. The first problem was with the Kern River Hatchery. The hatchery was shut down for over a month as pumps were replaced and new wells drilled so the upgraded hatchery would always have water cold enough to hold broodstock trout year-around. Second, the DFG's aging fleet of hatchery trucks had to be retrofitted with new air pollution equipment. Most waters that normally receive plants every other week have been planted only once or twice the entire season (which began in October), and DFG plants are unlikely to made in the foreseeable future. Lake Ming and Riverwalk Park were planted last week when a truck made a special run from the San Joaquin Hatchery.
flyboy

Re: Hatchery Update Jan 18, 2013 bummer

Postby flyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Update, stocking of Bakersfield Lakes resummed last week. Good fishing reported at Riverwalk and Truxton Lakes. As of today no stocking for the Kern River shown at the CDFG website so far this year through 2/10/13. Isabella might get some trout. Likely cold river temps are preventing stocking in moving water.
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Flyboy;

Thank you for the updates and appreciate your efforts.
This latest 'bummer' news seems to be another malfunction by the DFG Kern hatchery
Is it Karma or questionable planning?

Hope everything gets back the 'good news' status.
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Has anyone been fishing lately???
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 am

Has anyone seen a fish lately?
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Has anyone heard of anyone catching a fish?
Calduke

Postby armofisherman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Yea I'm also curious to know if anyone has been catching recently
armofisherman

Postby armofisherman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Yea I'm also curious to know if anyone has been catching recently
armofisherman

Postby admin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 am

You can tell by the Forum activity...or lack thereof, that fishing hasn't been active for some time. I attributed it mostly to a lousy economy and everyone trying to hunker down and survive. I have heard that some were doing only OK between Fairview and Riverside Park, but by their keeping quiet I assume it hasn't been good enough to really encourage others. Snow pack is scary, river flow stinks and the lake is being kept down to lowest levels in years, deliberately . And when, as a die-hard major promoter of the valley, I paint a dismal picture like that, you know I'm discouraged.

There was a hot few days when everyone went nuts with full stringers but it was only the lucky that happened to be here when the Hatchery released everything they had due to a water issue. My take is that it currently isn't worth the ridiculous price of gas to make the trip from anywhere out of Kern County. If there was more positive news I'd let the forum know but I won't encourage anyone unless it's worth the trip.

It's going to get interesting when the other recreation opportunities die with the dam repairs that will take 5-6 years. Tourists will probably avoid the area due to lack of lodging with workers taking up available rooms. A mess with travel on 178 and 155 is expected also. Should be nice camping on the upper river.

Would encourage those that brave the trip to post their results, good or bad, for others to gauge by. Cross your lines that it gets better.
admin
Site Admin

Postby armofisherman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 am

Just came back from a trip to upper kern yesterday, and I have to say this was absoutly the worst fishing trip I had. We had fun camping but as far as fishing goes, not even a single fish, heck not even a bite. Pretty discouraging. I hope things get better later on in the year!
armofisherman

Return to Fishing