No CDFW July planting scheduled

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

No CDFW July planting scheduled

Postby flyboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:53 pm

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/Defau ... e&time=All

My guess is that trout can't survive at the hatchery any longer. Glad we had plants until the heavily fished 4th of July weekend. The new wells can't provide enough cool water to keep a single race cool enough for the foot long planters we all love to play with.

Reports given to me say that the Kern now reaches +70 degrees daily below JDB and is near 80 degrees in Kernville in the afternoons. Warm water fish like squaw fish are replacing trout as the drought continues. Be kind to the fewer remaining heat stressed trout and go tubing. Even catch and release fishing will stress trout to lethal exhaustion. There are fewer wild trout remaining and they are the only trout that can reproduce in the river as CDFW planters are now all sterile fish. Stay away now to protect a better fishery for the future.

Come back in the fall when planting resumes as water temps drop back down and hope for a better 2015 snow pack.
flyboy

Re: No CDFW July planting scheduled

Postby Gary C. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Good advice flyboy. Once the water gets too warm there is very little fight in the fish and their flesh is mushy even if you did want to keep them.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Return to Fishing