Fishing report 7/19 - 7/20

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Fishing report 7/19 - 7/20

Postby THansen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 pm

My family was in Utah for a softball tourney and my friends were at the Kern for a week. So I make a quick run to hang out
Fished Friday evening at Camp James. I was shocked at the water level and even more surprised how warm it was. Fished a couple pools and eddies that looked fishy. Only landed squaw fish ( not sure on the actual name) They look like 8" minnows.

Saturday morning: Ran upriver looking for more productive waters. I hit a 1/4 mile section of water that looked like it would hold fish. Again, hit all the spots that normally hold a fish or two. More squaw fish. Finally got into some trout. This spot looked like a hotspor. Shear cliff with a deep undercut. Landed more squaw fish with one going in the 3lb class. At first, I thought I hooked into a fat brown. C&R a limit of trout. Nice sized fish. All on salmon eggs.

Saturday evening. Tried a different spot that I know produces trout, only squaw. About a dozen. Hit the same spot as the morning, with only squaw fish. It seems that the trout were most active in the morning. I am guessing the water temps drop over night and they are more active. Makes perfect sense to me.

Sunday morning. Tried a section above headquarters that I have never fished. More squaw in the better spots. Finally, found a couple pools that produced a couple trout. I was only looking to land one to proof to myself that I haven't lost my touch.

Overall the fishing is very slow. I wasn't looking for a 20+ fish day but I fished a lot of areas that would normally produce,. I have fished this river for a long time and usually do quite well. It is obvious the low water and high water temps are affecting this fishery. No fish plants in 3 weeks hurts as well. I will say all the trout I landed were respectable. All were at or above a lb.
All fish(trout) were carefully released. I know they are stressed

Good luck and tight lines
THansen

Return to Fishing