Catching Quality Update

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Re: Catching Quality Update

Postby sn0tjockey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:14 am

DFG suspended trout plants in the southern half of the state since July 1. The suspension is supposed to be effective for 180 days and selective for the state but it seems SoCal has been shut down. Perhapse things will change toward the end of the year.

On a side note, the natural trout population has exploded where you can find water in the Sequoias. Wet a line off the 190 and caught a bunch of rainbows and a golden, which I've never seen there before. All were less than 10", caught on Chunky Cheese, and released.
sn0tjockey

Postby Calduke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:21 am

To: Anyone

Trying to schedule my trips to the Kern for 2016.
I travel about 150 miles, 4 hours, to get to the Kern
Will it be worth the effort this year?

If the planting has been cut way down, what camps or locations would I expect plantings. Of course, the park area, but, where else?

Thanks for any input
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Any indication when DFG will begin plants on the Upper Kern?
Calduke

Postby flyboy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 pm

CDFW planted some trout on Section 4 (below KR3 to and mostly in Riverside Park) for Whiskey Flats so kids could catch some trout at the festival. Many baiters already cleaned up there already. River flows coming up slowly. No plants on Section 5 and 6 since November (river still too cold up there). No other plants scheduled for Feb at this time.

We need more snow soon!
flyboy

Postby Calduke » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:11 am

Do you expect the planting will be very limited like last year?
Will they plant only in the camp areas(of course, the park area)
Calduke

Postby flyboy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:00 pm

All CDFW hatchery budgets still much lower than previous years including Kernville Hatchery. The hatchery will have new races constructed this summer. They may not be able to keep many trout alive while construction is going on. For now sections 5&6 still to cold for planting I guess. Probably only section 4 Kernville will be planted sparingly in March.
flyboy

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Unless things change for the better, this will be the first year in 25 years we won't be spending fathers day weekend on the Kern. I do hope to make at least one trip to the river in late spring, just because. I and my group are currently in the process of scouting out other location for our annual family trip. Sad state of affairs this State is in. :(
BIRDHUNTER

Previous

Return to Fishing