Catching Quality Update

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Catching Quality Update

Postby flyboy » Thu May 07, 2015 3:59 pm

The catching was great the week before "Opening Day" 4/25. Lots of planting and no indication that the San Joaquin hatchery has reduced the size of trout they feed the Kernville hatchery.......... yet! River levels came up last week and water is cloudy and less than 3' visability. Catching dropped way off for fly fishers and baiters were saying numbers were down quite a bit. Big storms dumping rain and hail today so flows should ramp up and continued cloudy for a bit. River temps in the 60's and it appears maximum flows will not exceed 500 cfs (normal years are well over 2,000 cfs for 2-3 months)this year?????? That means river temps may be lethal and planting probably will end after Memorial Day.
flyboy

Re: Catching Quality Update

Postby Calduke » Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Flyboy - you're the man. Enjoy your info and updates.

Thanks for the update. I'm heading to the Kern next week for 2 days. I went one month ago and it was a downer.
I've been going 5-6 times a year the past 10 years and my last outing was the worst results I've experienced..
The water levels made the fishing seem strange.
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Sat May 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Fished the Kern on May 13-afternoon.

2 fish 5" length
2 fish 12" length

The Kern is just not like it has been in the past; but, getting out is he rewrd.
Calduke

Postby Fishpole » Sat May 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Interesting BUT, don't think anyone uses this board any longer. Thanks anyway
Fishpole

Postby Calduke » Sun May 24, 2015 9:22 am

What is the reason there are no posts at this site.

BTW - all 4 of my fish were released.
Calduke

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 am

It looks like the hatcher dumped its stock this past week. I have been fishing the Kern for over 25 years and this is the worst quality of fish I have ever seen, not complaining, just stating the facts. I have had far more good trips than bad. I actually caught several trout that were no more than seven inches, largest was 13 inches. We had better have a wet up coming season or the lake may just dry up. I can't remember seeing it this low. Very sad. On another note, the restriction on camping along the river in other than designated spots seems to be helping the trash problem but, it sure packs the non-fee sites. We have been staying at Springhill So. for many years now and this was a crazy weekend, three times the normal crowd. Might have to do with the warm clear water and low flow conditions making it great for the kids to play in.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Fishpole-

Why have you stopped using this website?
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Is it worth a 3-hour drive, 2-night motel, 2-1/2 day fishing on the Kern?

In the past I would go 4-5 times per year, but, due to the negative feedback I have gone only once so far. I normally get to Kernville at noon on Wednesdays and leave Friday before the invasion. My last trip was tough going/fishing, so, I'm asking those who keep up with the current action to give me some input.

Thanks.
Calduke

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:06 am

Lots of things going on this year, none good. State cut back on funds for DFG, low water condition, quality of fish, is poor at best, way to many people. If the area economy is to get better it will need a good wet winter or two. The area depends on the Lake and river activities for a good steady influx of outside $$$. Then the State will need to find a way to help the area with the number and quality of the fish that are planted. If that means going to an outside source, then so be it. The businesses that rely on tourism may need to pitch in and do their share to help where they can. It's a fee which they can pass on to the tourist. I know I will look into other places, including out of State, unless something is done to improve the fishing.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:56 am

Apparently no trout plants on the Kern since June 28.
Has the planting stopped for the year?
Calduke

Next

Return to Fishing