DFG Plants

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

DFG Plants

Postby Calduke » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:06 am

Apparently DFG will begin plants on the Upper Kern starting March 20
Calduke

Re: DFG Plants

Postby Calduke » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:51 pm

I will start my annual Upper Kern fishing expeditions in April.
I'm not sure how 'intense' the DFG will be, but, hoping that it will be worth the effort.
Since the downturn in budget, etc the reduction in the planting program has made it difficult to locate fish.
Last year was a disaster; being the worst year in my previous 15 years.

I travel about 180 miles and stay for about 3 days each trip. I make about 4 trips per year.
My time is all fishing and spending money on the local scene.

Any suggestions as to which camps would be best to stay and fish. Will the DFG stock camp areas, only?
Calduke

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:04 pm

I am going to be making my first trip in April also. Mid of Mo. I don't know for sure if most of the stocking is going to be in camp sites or any good spot they can find. I normally stay in lower Springdale but, that always depend on availability of good spots. Last year for Fathers day it was over run with the Bakersfield and Lamont crowd. Might have had to do with hot temps. and real low flow on the river. It made good swimming for the little ones but, made for noisy nights when the booze started flowing. If it is worth the trouble, I will make more trips, otherwise I will find new area to spend my time and $$$$$. It is a real shame what has happened to the area above Kernville over the past several years. I have been coming up to the river for over 30 years now and to put it mildly, the good days are over. The scum is no longer just in the river.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:28 pm

I normally arrive Wednesday morning and leave on Friday @ noon.
I miss most of he negative crowds you described, but, during the summer, mid-week can be sometimes be a mess.

I'm hoping the DFG increases the effort in the Upper Kern areas with a few spots outside camp areas - other than the park area,
Yes, the Kernville experience has vastly deteriorated from the good-old, pleasant days of the past. I guess there is a reason.
It has become a playpen for people of questionable IQs.

Birdhunter - glad to see you check the site now and then. You seem to have an 'awareness' of what is going on in the Kernville area.
Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
Calduke

Return to Fishing