Hatchery

Inquiries and answers to the area's most popular pastime.

Hatchery

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Sun May 19, 2019 11:41 am

I just received the latest copy of western Outdoor News. I t had information on the Kernville hatchery, in the article It mentioned that the hatchery which has just reopened will no longer be raising put-and-take stockers and begin raising solely the Kern River rainbow trout and to restock the native fish throughout the Kern River Basin. The Hatchery will only serve as a holding facility and planting base for trout reared in other hatcheries. While well intended, this will put more pressure on other hatcheries to produce adequate numbers of planter trout, which I am certain they will not be able to do. It seems every time somebody comes up with these bright ideas, the only ones to suffer are the fisherman. When will they learn to leave well enough alone. I just did a search for planting sched. for the river and the date and location are far fewer than in years past.
BIRDHUNTER

Re: Hatchery

Postby Gary C. » Thu May 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Howdy BH,
All part of a growing trend towards stocking of only native fish. I like the idea of stocking with Kern River Bows but also understand your concerns. The thing about it is that that the state is no longer allowed to stock fish in any trout other than sterile fish or fish native to the waters being stocked. I like the idea of stocking trout that at least have a chance of breeding and creating more fish. Thats my understanding of the current laws anyhow.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Fri May 31, 2019 12:22 pm

Morning Gary, Haven't heard much from you lately. Didn't you use to frequent the Golden trout forum or am I thinking about someone else.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Has anybody been fishing lately? The DFG has been stocking the Kern, but, does anyone try fishing with the high flows
Calduke

Postby Fishpole » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Interesting not sure what the answer is though. Kind of seems like if it wasnt broke y r they trying to fix it
Fishpole

Postby flyboy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

The hatchery is dry and will be for some time. They can't count on utility power 24/7 to pump enough cool river water because it can be cut off to prepare for windy, dry and hot conditions that could cause a wild fire. So the hatchery was emptied last month when staffing was available to evacuate the planting base. Stocking can only happen if they make the long drive above Fresno to the San Joaquin Hatchery, to get their trout and then plant the same day in the Kernville area. With extreme valley temps this may not happen a lot in August because trout may not survive the journey ,as they go belly up if water approaches 70 degrees on the long haul. It takes over 12 hours to complete the run and stock. A long day with overtime that impacts the hatchery budgets and likely the total pounds they can plant as well.

The native trout will be kept and bred at the SJ hatchery and eggs and fingerlings will be shipped to the Kern River hatchery for rearing when the threat of wild fires passes later in October perhaps?
flyboy

Return to Fishing