D-9 Hunting Zone

Meet and exchange hunting information with area sportsmen.

D-9 Hunting Zone

Postby GGellinck » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:16 pm

I am taking my son on his first hunting trip this year. Due to time constraints, we had to apply for local area tags, D9. I am totally unfamiliar with this area, as I have never spent any time in this zone. Does anyone have any suggestions for a starting point, camping (23 foot toy hauler), quads recommended(I have two), East side, West side, etc. I appreciate any/all suggestions and information. HELP.
I plan on going up during bow season, hunting and scouting, for rifle season. Thank you for the assistance. Please feel free to email me any helpful information and/or suggestions. GGellinck@semprautilities.com
GGellinck

Re: D-9 Hunting Zone

Postby Gary C. » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:53 pm

After the recent fires I think it's going to be a crap shoot. I've not hunted that zone in a long time but with scouting I think you should be able to do well. I haven't been up to see just what burned but they are probably either scattered as heck or driven into concentrated areas. That is where the scouting could really pay off.
Gary C.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby Caneman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 pm

i too will be on my first deer hunt this year in d9... any suggestions for success in this zone?
Caneman

Postby Brian R » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:50 am

Lots of scouting. I personally would try my luck more towards the desert side. With all the extra rain this year you will be suprised what you find. I have an X10 tag and a D 8 tag. Already been scouting D 8 and found some nice devoloping bucks roaming around. So they are there. D 9 where I was refering to has pinion pines and is a perfect area to sit and glass for hours. You will be suprised what you find if you are patient and glass. Good luck.
Brian R

Postby Caneman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I think I know the area you are referring to... in fact, I hiked back up there last weekend bout 2 miles from the radio tower and saw a lot of deer tracks on the plateau... did not see any water, though... what is the best side to access this area, from the north or the south?
Caneman

Postby Brian R » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 am

From the east. And you are in the right area. There are guzzlers in the area for the wildlife. Checkout BLM and forestry maps. You should find what you are looking for. There are several roads into the area. From Kelso to the west and 395 from the east. Hope that helps. Let me know if you run into quail and chuckar coveys. Dog can't wait to go this year and neither can I.
Brian R

Postby Caneman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks for the info... coming back down the hill below the radio tower we did see a nice covey of chukkar, maybe 20 to 30 birds right on the road... we chased them down the road in the truck and they looked like mini ostriches as they ran in front of us, an amazing sight to see! All they had to do was run off the road but instead they ran down the road in front of us... Did not see these birds in the morning but in the afternoon. Mtn quail were few and far between.
Caneman

Postby Brian R » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:12 am

Like I said before you guys should drive both routes. Get a map a look at the lay of the land. My suggestion is the eastern half of this zone. I hunt chuckar and quail here. I see deer everytime out. As far as trailers are concered I would definitely drive up and scout around. There are lots of areas to scout. Be aware that some roads in the National Forest are illegal to drive your quads on. That may also help in decided which area. You still have time to scout. But I would at least at a minimum get a weeks time in. I don't go without at least 2 weeks in the field every year. I take my kids as well. More eyes to try and catch deer and trails. Good luck and look for some qauil too. Thanks
Brian R

Postby Caneman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 am

any of you guys regularly hunt Breckenridge or Piute mountains, or is it just too crowded now?
Caneman

Return to Hunting