Dove season

Meet and exchange hunting information with area sportsmen.

Dove season

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Any hunters out there? It's been a while since anyone has made any comments about hunting. My group have been going over to Blythe for the past 28 years now. Since 1998 we only hunt the Az. side of the river. For that mater I never hunt Ca. any more. The State is anti hunter so, why bother spending my time and money on a place that wants me and my type gone. Anyhow is anyone going out Sept. 1st and if so where? As long as the monsoons stay away, it sure looks like a bumper year.
BIRDHUNTER

Re: Dove season

Postby Calduke » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:30 pm

I go to Yuma, but, most of the my previous 'preferred' locations are posted. Fewer and fewer places to hunt. Not good

Where do you go across the river from Blythe? Is there an Indian reservation there?
Calduke

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:41 am

We just ride the river road south until we find a flyway. Every so often we will hunt Cibola. As far as the CRIT reservation goes, we hunt there for quail and late season dove. $75 for the permit which runs on the calendar year. You can get your permit at the yellow mart in Blythe or the market in Ehrenberg, just across the river 1st off ramp, No. of 10 freeway. Reservation starts about 5 miles above Ehrenberg. Follow any dirt road, mostly to the east. You can go through any gate that is not posted other wise. Make sure to close gate behind you. If you do hunt there, be sure to follow all rules to the T. We have never been hassled there because they have never been given any attitude by us. They check your permit and maybe your game then go on their way.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Birdhunter - thanks for your reply.

would you consider Cibola good hunting - worth the effort.

Is the 'river road 'highly posted?
Calduke

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Cibola can be good if you find the right field. The AZ. game wardens have always pointed us in the right direction as far as dove fields go. I never hunt there on opening day, and not to much later in the season, way to many folks for my liking. You need to be careful while hunting there. Cibola runs on both side of the River, Ca. and AZ. some areas are lead free areas. On the AZ. river road, As far as posting go, there is only one that I know of in over a twenty mile stretch. On the reservation there are some posting but not many. If not posted you can go through most any gate for access to the area you want to hunt, just be sure to close the gate behind you, both in and out of an area, most of the land is open cattle grazing. 4 wheel drive is highly recommend if you plan on driving any of the washes and on a lot of the power line roads. The reservation wardens are a friendly lot but, DO NOT BREAK ANY LAWS while hunting there. You are on there land and will face their legal system. To find a hunting area you will need to do lots of scouting. Drive north from Ehrenberg until you are on the reservation, turn on any hard top or dirt road and start scouting. Only small game and birds are allowed for no-tribal people. Do not kill non-game birds or small non-game small animals.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Birdhunter - really appreciate all your time great info.
Need to bother you a bit more. Do you know where I can fine some maps/exhibits of the area?
Is Cibola the name of the reservation?
Calduke

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:42 am

The reservation is, CRIT. (Colorado River Indian tribes) I don't know of any maps. U might check with the Yellow mart in Blythe. Cibola is the hunting preserve So. of Blythe on both the Ca. an AZ. side of the river. For that, they may have maps.
BIRDHUNTER

Postby Calduke » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm off to Yuma for the weekend to get a few days of dove hunting during the split season.
Results depend on the weather - which looks encouraging.
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Sept 1 & 2;
I'm off to Arizona for the great dove hunting frenzy !!
Calduke

Postby Calduke » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Returned from Yuma
Result; Not Good
Calduke

Next

Return to Hunting