Kernville for Tree Squirrel?

Meet and exchange hunting information with area sportsmen.

Kernville for Tree Squirrel?

Postby BigFatGuy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:41 pm

The Mrs. and I are working to become hunters in adulthood, both having grown up in gun-free households in "blue" cities.

We've been once (guided pig hunt), and we'd like to try some small game, Tree squirrel and rabbit being high on the list. (I make a mean gumbo...)

Given how many ways there are to get in trouble when walking around with gun, this is my current plan... please let me know if I'm doing something stupid!

There seems to be good squirrel habitat north of Kernville, along Highway 99 ("Sierra Way"). There's also quite a bit of camping up there.

I figure, we get a campsite, hike away from the marked trails a bit (rules seem to require 150 yards away from campground) to get away from other people, then begin hunting...

We're decent shots, we have lead free ammo, we've got good hiking clothes.

The thing is, that seems too simple! I feel like I must be missing something... and I'd hate to end up a felon or in trouble with DFG.

Am I worrying needlessly? any advice?
BigFatGuy

Re: Kernville for Tree Squirrel?

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am

I use to hunt squirrel up on Piute MT. south of the lake. To get there take Sierra way back to 178 turn right and go to Kelso Valley RD. take that to Piute Rd. From there you will go up until you come to Jawbone canyon Rd. to the left, that will take you over the top back down to Kelso valley Rd. I shot many tree squirrels up there. It use to be a good place to hunt Mt quail but it has been several years since I was last up there so, who knows for sure. I have seen cars up there but, I would suggest a truck. Four wheel drive would be nice but not required. if you go just use common sense while hunting and you will be fine. It's very likely you will see few other people up there. I found it to be a good place to hunt tree squirrel. I would estimate the trip up over the Mt. round trip back to 178 will take around four Hrs. round trip. Add time for stops to hunt. Good luck, BIRDHUNTER
BIRDHUNTER

Return to Hunting