Dove Opener Report

Meet and exchange hunting information with area sportsmen.

Dove Opener Report

Postby THansen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Drove out Sunday night. There is no sense trying to stay home and sleep because I am always to anxious to sleep and getting up at 230 AM just upsets the wifey.
Things started off pretty good and quik. Had 5 birds pretty fast. Didnt miss any shots that I expect myself to make. Missed a couple dream shots, but I dont expect to make those . The problem I was having is my buddy that was 30 yards from me is a pretty good shot. We wouldn't let anything get past without taking a shot at it., So there were several birds coming my way that he would shoot at and send them in the other direction. He shoots duck and is willing to reach out further to take a shot. HE was nailing birds that were right in front of me. I may have to un-invite him next year. I like to allow the birds to work in closer.
The birds really died off early. Around 8 AM, there werent many birds moving. Had to go walk the fields to get them up. Not nearly as many whitewings as there were 2 weeks ago. The rain really affected them.
I tried my new Browning over/under for the first time. I cant shoot with this gun, yet. I was ready to throw it in the dirt (literally). I usually shoot my Remington 1100 and I am respectable shot. Usually get a limit with one box of shells
After some breathing techniques I managed to keep the gun out of the sand.
We went to our usual spot to clean birds and hang out. This was a field that I was told not to hunt. This field was thick with birds. Even with the trespassers and *****-holes on the street leaving all the spent shellls.

Pick up your empties (that goes for beer cans and empty shell casings).
this use another word my off. 1000s of empty shotgun shells on the streets around this field. Who is going to clean this up. All is does is upset the land owners and ranch workers. If you are one of these people. you use another word.
I hope Karma pays you back with a DUI

Overall it was a slower than last year. But we all had limits. Weather was tolerable. I am guessing Hi near 103-105. It was humid
I am going back next weekend with my 8 (y.o) daughter. It will be her first hunt. Wouldnt take her out there for the opener. I hope the weather stays nice for the rest of the week. And there wont be much shooting pressure, so the birds should settle down.

PS
Just to keep things interesting,. there was a stolen car pursuit that came flying through our field. For real, the stolen car was flying thru the rows of grapes, The sheriffs cruiser were to wide. But the Sheriffs on the 4 wheelers were trying to chase them. They asked us to point them in the direction of the stolen car. The stolen car drove thru this huge locked gate. The gate is 4" steel. The tow truck pulled the car out of the orange trees next to us. We saw the whole thing. THe car was trashed by the time they finally ditched it in the trees. The sheriffs warned us to keep our guns close as the suspects were considered volatile. The airplane circled for about an hour. We heard more sirens then the plane left. I am guessing they caught the bad guys. Just more stories to tell. I am glad that they didnt come down the row that my car was parked in front of. I am sure they would have slammed into my van. Or run over one of my nephews. I promise you, the sheriffs would have been recovering bodies if they hit my nephew. I always carry a couple slugs. Accidents happen to bad guys more often than we want to believe.
THansen

Re: Dove Opener Report

Postby Gary C. » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:01 pm

TH, thanks' for the report. I feel for you trying to get dialed in with a new gun. Those shorter barrels alone will play heck with your lead and timing. Good luck next weekend, and maybe bring us back a picture of the smile on that little girls face when she drops her first bird.
Gary C.
"All fisherman are liars except for you and I and sometimes I'm not so sure about you so you better post a picture"
Gary C.

Postby THansen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:46 pm

[quote="Gary C."]TH, thanks' for the report. I feel for you trying to get dialed in with a new gun. Those shorter barrels alone will play heck with your lead and timing. Good luck next weekend, and maybe bring us back a picture of the smile on that little girls face when she drops her first bird.
Gary C.[/quote]
The lil lady of mine gets to bird dog for several years before she will be given the opportunity to take any game. I learned alot by sitting next to my dad waiting for him to drop a bird. I can still out perform most bird dogs, I rarely lose a bird in the field. I learned that by being a bird dog for many years.
Once she has demonstrated that she knows how to behave in the field and around loaded firearms, then we get serious about gun safety.
I know, I am a buzz kill. But waiting for your first hunt builds the excitement. And we are safer. Then I can give the shooter some freedom. I did this with my nephews and they were cool with it. I have a 10 y.o, nephew that thinks he is ready to hunt. He is wrong.. A couple more years. It always depend on the kid. Some mature faster.
And I still need a bird dog that will yell, OVER< OVER< BEHIND YOU, BEHIND YOU. I dont see so well
THansen

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 am

Seven of us went over to blythe for the dove opener and shot a limit in no time. We actually hunt across the river in Az. So. of town. I would say this was one of the best years for birds and weather we have had in several years. While it was near 100 degs. during the day and it was rather humid, the wind came up and it made all the dif. in the world. I think there were more whitewings than mourners but not by much. I had three mourners before my first whitewing. We went out again on the 2nd and while it took longer the five remaing hunters all got our limits. Three of us are going over again today the 5th,[temps around 110 deg] we will be hunting the crit reservation, where we have always done real good on euroes. Good hunting and fishing, BIRDHUNTER
BIRDHUNTER

Re:Hey Birdhunter

Postby THansen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:15 am

What is the deal with shooting in AZ on the reservation? I am guessing you dont need an AZ hunting license? I used to shoot Yuma and Gila Bend AZ and we would have to get a 3 day non resident license. The price has taken a huge cost increase for non resident.

Post a report, I am curious to hear how it was on the river 5 days after the opener. I was terrible where I was
THansen

Postby BIRDHUNTER » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Just got in from Az. resevation dove hunt 9/7. We limited both days, four of us this trip. This morning was just crazy with doves, whitwings, mourning and eureos. We had twelve decs set up including two mojos and the birds came right in on them, there was one point after we were done shooting that there were 7 doves sitting with the decs. As for hunting the Resevation, you do not need an Az. license, but you can only buy a season res.license, no short term permits, it come to $67, and it goes from Jan 1 till the end of the year. You can get the license in blythe at the yellow mart, thats the main spoting goods store in the area on hobson way, or you can get one at the market in erenberg, right across the river on 95 just before you get on the res. BIRDHUNTER
BIRDHUNTER

Return to Hunting